Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Awareness in my house.

Awareness. That is the random thought on my mind this morning. On Saturday I'm going to Run the 5K in our Race for the Cure. Which got me thinking about Breast Cancer Awareness and then Women's Health Awareness, then I moved on to Family Health Awareness. Is there such a thing?

Is there a site dedicated to raising the awareness about how important it is for total family health? I also wonder about little boys. I see all sorts of advertising campaigns and such aimed at raising the self esteem of little girls and I have NO problem with them; I think they are great.

I just wonder about the little boys. I will admit that as a mother of two little boys and no girls it matters more to me than I guess if I had daughters. I'm just wondering if that is what Little League and Pee-wee football are supposed to do. I just don't know. What I do know is that boys need to know what it is to be a "good guy". There are so many questionable role models available that as boys get older it is difficult to sort through all the characters created for kids and find one to be comfortable with. Even characters that aren't created for little kids that just end up being in front of them in the media and such. Athletes, entertainers, and the like. These people didn't ask to be any one's role model yet here they are being watched with big eyes and sponge like brains. Sheesh, I see it even in the peers of my husband and mine. My boys adore all of their surrogate "uncles" sometimes I will hear them say something or see them do something and when asked about it they will answer that is what Uncle So and So does or says.

I remember a couple of years ago there were these commercials on TV with all sorts of "famous" men talking about speaking out until there was an end to violence against women. And about teaching boys how to treat others. Those were great commercials. Wonder where they went.

Anyhow, Awareness is on my brain this morning. I want to raise the awareness in my home about health for everyone, Mom, Dad and boys. I want to Raise caring, strong boys that will turn into men that any mother would be comfortable to have as a role model for their little sponges. So off I go to figure out how to do that. Ha!

No comments: